Saturday, June 24, 2006

Choices

One thing that I absolutely love about New York is that the options are endless. The “city that never sleeps” offers several choices of men, lounges, clubs, restaurants, careers, interns, nail salons, spas, hotels, flea markets, men, car services, cleaners, diners, parks, museums, real estate, laundry mats, bodegas, and oh! Did I mention MEN?

While reading Actor, Ivey-Leaguer, Educator, Mentor, and Hottie, Hill Harper’s new page-turner titled Letters To A Young Brother, I started to reflect on all of the choices that I have made recently. Truthfully, the sheer thought of it put me in a horrible mood. Hill covered topics like “Working hard to work smart” and “Changing your mind, not quitting.”

Again, I sunk into my hard, wood stool at the Starbucks Café in Barnes & Noble as I reflected on my choices.

-My choice to work at a 9 to 5 that drains the energy out of me, daily
-My choice to pursue a freelance writing career and invest all of my time and effort into this business
-My choice to buy that addictive vanilla ice cream cone from the Mister Softee truck while aware that I could have put that same $2 in my savings account for a rainy day
-My choice to procrastinate with writing my pitch letters to various editors
-My choice in MEN. Believe me, I have made some great, good, bad, and very bad choices in this department
-Did I mention my unplanned, unconscious choice to be at a 9 to 5 that just does not please me emotionally, creatively and passionately?

Yet, I’ve come to terms with my choices for this ¼ century part of my life. I have learned and matured from these choices. I am truly blessed to live in a country where I’m able to make my own decisions and reside in a city that will offer them for an eternity.

It may sound sad to some, pitiful to others, and just down right depressing to the common, trendy, outgoing socialite in any popular city that I was in Barnes & Noble, sitting at the Starbucks Café, reading books and magazines on a damp, hot, humid, summer Friday night. But, that was the best choice that I had made all week!

Now…If I can just choose to go to sleep at an earlier time each night, then I will be on the right track (I guess). Life is totally about choices, so make them wisely! Wow, I should take my own advice.

‘Til next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment