Wednesday, February 22, 2006

In Good Health

It seems to creep up on me every winter between December to February. I’m never strong enough to prevent it from coming. I’m never prepared when it gets here. I’m always working overtime to get rid of it. What is “it”, you ask?

Sinusitis. It’s defined as inflammation of the skull. Yes, I know. It sounds disgusting and very serious. Yet. It’s not as hazardous as it may sound. For me, it’s an annual event since I have horrific sinus problems and the change of the weather usually adds to the cause. In addition, my roommate always stresses that my wardrobe reflects someone who resides in Miami. Therefore, I am certain that dressing inappropriate every chilly New York winter has helped Sinusitis take over my well-being.

For the last two weeks, I’ve been fighting this problem. I’ve noticed that you never learn really appreciate the basic perks in life until it’s gone. Well, now I am absolutely thankful for my good health. I’m sure that you would feel the same after suffering from a soar throat, loss of voice, headaches, body aches, nasal and chest congestion, and a dry cough that enabled you to complete a simple sentence. I forgot to throw in lack of sleep and exhaustion from dealing with these symptoms.

In the past and still to this day, I’ve chosen work over my health. I dragged myself to work everyday, refusing to use one or two days to get well. Last week, my co-worker asked me the same question. My response was, “Well when you have only three personal/sick days combined available to use for the entire year, taking off is not an option.” She just looked at me, mouth slightly open, trying to conjure up a rebuttal. Her silence told me that I was right. Who can afford to take off when the paid “off” days are too scarce?

On several occasions, I imagined being a sick person who owned a company. Would I still have no time to myself for healing? Would I only be entitled to use three personal/sick days or less if I were an entrepreneur? Would I have to come in and run the company? Can I trust my employees and company to run itself while I am sick? Actually, the thought that ran through my head were, “I would not have to deal with this (sh*t) if I was running my own company.” Yes, I admit that I was a little grouchy and bitter at the time these thoughts were flowing through my brain. Nevertheless, if I were president of a business, then at least I would not feel forced to go into work against my own will. For example, I pushed my freelance projects aside to concentrate on my health. Of course, I was disappointed that I did not make progress and complete some assignments. But, I was pleased that I had the option to choose. Being an employee makes me feel as if I do not have that control and/or alternative to even stay home. By now, I’ve realized that at the end of the day, it’s a temporary situation and just a check for me. It’s not worth my happiness, and definitely not worth my health.

No comments:

Post a Comment