Sunday, July 05, 2009

Self Motivation is a Bitch!

I mentioned to someone recently (not really sure who it was) that I was on a deadline for story like yesterday and they instantly said, "What sign are you?" I responded, “I’m a Sagittarius.” They just gave me a look and I said, “Yeah, I know, we’re procrastinators by nature. I know.” Hanging on to the last word of my comment, I felt as if I was accepting being lazy (on the verge of giving up). But if I give up, there would be no point of this blog, THE GRIND and I’d definitely go into hibernation, a true dark place, and just be…But who wants to settle for going through life clueless, lifeless, helpless, and unhappy?

I’ve always wondered, after someone reaches a certain level in their career and is known amongst their industry, what it took for them to get to that place. I’m sure that they had to start some where and prove to themselves that they could make their dreams come true. But, it takes hard work, it takes dedication, it takes thinking smart, and it takes momentum. Honestly, sometimes your thinking can get blurred and you go through humps in your plan that can lead to a detour in the road (the plan). So, how do you get back on track? How do you stay motivated? How do you avoid throwing your hands up and saying, “I give up”?

I think that you got to really look inside yourself and ask yourself and/or tell yourself, “Is this what I really want?” Can I go on? Do I have what it takes to make it?

If the answer is “Yes”, than you stick to your plan
-You may have to modify your plan (if that’s what it takes)
-Write down your goals and plan of action
-Work on completing those goals/list, daily (even if its small task)
-Network
-Utilize your resources
-Promote Yourself, business, idea, product (whatever your dream may be)
-Get a mentor (if possible)
-Always do research and educate yourself (stay aware of fresh news happening in your industry or in the profession that you want to break into)
-Find new ways or ideas that will keep you motivated
-If you have business partners, define each other’s weakness and strengths (preferably in the beginning) so that you are aware of who can execute certain duties directly
-Accept constructive criticism (take it with a grain of salt, especially if it’s an experienced veteran in the industry that you want to go into)
-Never, Never, Never, give up on yourself (you can definitely tweak your plan but if its really want you want to do, than go for it!)

“If you don’t believe in yourself, who will?”


Always,


Miss Joi


No comments:

Post a Comment